Philly Sports Live

Union Fall in Penalty Kicks to Sporting Kansas City for U.S. Open Cup

Chester PA: The soccer world came to PPL Park in Chester PA  for the championship match of the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup as the Philadelphia Union hosted Sporting Kansas City. This is the 102nd edition of the oldest ongoing competition in American soccer. Both teams got to the finals by winning their semifinal matches which saw the Union defeat Chicago and Kansas City took down Real Salt Lake. The last time that Sporting Kansas City won the U.S. Open Cup was in 2012, the Union are looking for their 1st ever U.S. Open Cup championship as the loss to Seattle. The game was broadcasted nationally on ESPN2.

Sporting Kansas City won the opening kick to start the game. both teams had some good scoring changes on goal. The Union would open the scoring in the 23rd minute on a nice goal by Sebastien Le Toux. Both goalies were up for the test as Union Andre Blake and Sporting Kansas City Tim Melia made some nice saves. The games penalties (Yellow Cards) starting coming out in the 21st minute when Union Michael Lahoud for Unsporting Behavior when the first Yellow card against Sporting Kansas City would come in the 29th minute by Kevin Ellis for Unsporting Behavior. The Union would take a 1-0 lead into halftime.

Union started the 2nd half kickoff with the ball and they looked to add more to their 1-0 first half lead. Sporting Kansas City would get on the board in the 65th minute on goal by Krisztian Németh which would tie the game at 1. There was multiple yellow cards that came out on both teams. This game would remain scorless after 90 minutes of play as we head to two periods of 15 minutes of overtime, if the game remained tied, then it would go to a penalty kicks.

In overtime nothing much took place during the two periods of overtime as now the game heads to penalty kicks. below is how the results of the penalty kicks

Philadelphia Union Sebastien Le Toux scoring a Penalty Kick (Photo Credit to David Malandra Jr)

Philadelphia Union Sebastien Le Toux scoring a Penalty Kick (Photo Credit to David Malandra Jr)

Round 1:
Union Sebastien Le Toux scored
Sporting Kansas City
Benny Feilhaber Scored

Round 2:
Union Vincent Nogueira Scored
Sporting Kansas City Dominic Dwyer scored

Round 3:
Union Maurice Edu Saved
Sporting Kansas City Krisztian Németh Saved

Round 4:
Union Tranquillo Barnetta Scored
Sporting Kansas City Matt Besler Scored

Round 5:
Union Conor Casey scored
Sporting Kansas City Paulo Nagamura scored

Round 6:
Union Michael Lahoud scored
Sporting Kansas City Graham Zusi scored

Round 7:
Union Raymon Gaddis scored
Sporting Kansas City Kevin Ellis scored

Round 8:
Union Andrew Wenger saved
Sporting Kansas City Jordi Quintillà scored

Jordi Quintillà would score the winning goal in penalty kicks in 8 rounds as Sporting Kansas City win the 2015 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in front of a crowd of 14,463. With the loss, The Union becomes the first club to finish runner-up in consecutive U.S. Open Cups since New York Inter-Giuliana in 1975 & 1976.